- 4 fish filets or 1½ lb (recommended: Snapper, Grouper, Mahi Mahi, Haddock)
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon caper juice
- 1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup pitted, sliced green olives
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 2 limes
Preheat oven to 425°. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion; cook and stir until onions begin to turn translucent, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook about 30 seconds. Add capers and caper juice; stir to combine. Then stir in tomatoes, olives, jalapeno pepper.
Cook and stir until jalapeno pepper softens and tomatoes begin to collapse, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in oregano.
Drizzle 2 teaspoons olive oil into a 8×8 baking dish. Spread a little of the tomato-olive mixture on the bottom of the dish. Add 2 fish fillets (side by side); sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Top with ½ of the remaining tomato-olive mixture and the juice of 1 lime. Add the second layer of fish fillets, seasoning, and the remainder of the mixture. Squeeze 1 lime on top
Bake in the preheated oven until fish is flaky and no longer translucent, 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve as a main course with rice and beans, or polenta and grilled vegetables.