Key Lime Pie
- 9” graham cracker pie shell
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)
- ½ cup key lime juice (fresh if you can find it or Nellie & Joes Key West Lime Juice)
Blend condensed milk, egg yolks and key lime juice until smooth. Pour filling into graham cracker pie shell. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 5 egg whites (use reserved whites from eggs used in pie filling + one)
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 8 tablespoons sugar
An electric mixer is a must here. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy.
Spread onto pie filling, covering all of the filling to the crust edge. Make some curls or peaks. Bake for 20–25 minutes. Meringue should be a nice toasty light brown. Allow to stand 10 minutes. Refrigerate for a least 2 hours before serving.